Kerrobert & District Agricultural Society
The Kerrobert & District Agricultural Society sponsors a Regional 4-H Beef Show and Sale on the 1st Wednesday of June each year at the Kerrobert Fairgrounds in Ag building. The show starts at 9:00 and the sale begins at 4:00. Four 4-H Beef clubs (Kerrobert, Major, Bea Bank, and Handel) from the West Central area attend. Following the show the members sell their market animals. Patton Auctions donate their time and conduct the sale each year.
Breakfast and lunch is served for the members and the general public.
Kerrobert and District Agricultural Society presents a $500.00 scholarship to a Grade 12 4-H member who has show his/her animals at the District 4-H Beef Show and Sale for at least 5 years.
History of the Kerrobert & District Agricultural Society:
The Kerrobert and District Agricultural Society was formed in 1912
- The first fair was held in 1913 on the grounds north of the present water works.
- The first President of the Agricultural Society was Frank Ball
- In 1946 a 4-H Grain Club was formed.
- The first record of the 4-H Calf Club Sale was in 1947.
Agricultural Societies are non-political, grass-roots organizations, whose primary objective is to promote the improvement of agriculture and improve the quality of life in their communities by:
- Playing an educational role for the benefit of its members and the community at large
- Providing an interface between rural and urban residents of the community. Improving the knowledge level of urban residents related to the role and importance of agriculture
- Providing a community forum for discussion of agricultural issues
- Promoting social interaction within the community by the sponsorship of educational and entertainment activities
- Acting as a catalyst for community development and community spirit
- Assisting in the development of market opportunities for Saskatchewan products
- Providing an opportunity for the comparison of Saskatchewan produce, products, crafts and skills through competition
- Providing leadership development opportunities
- Encouraging the conservation of natural resources
- Providing facilities for community use
- Providing a source of historical information on community development and promoting a sense of pride in the community's heritage
- Kerrobert & District Agricultural Society
- P.O. Box 146
- Major, SK
- S0L 2H0
- Phone (306) 834-2898
- Fax (306) 834-2445